13 Jun 2016
Reading time ~2 minutes
Freed from the burden (and blessing) of having to sit through required meetings interspersed throughout the day, I was largely able to diligently work on modeling users and setting up authentication by hand today. Though the process of getting that stuff done was not so trying in and of itself, I ran into several unnecessary roadblocks. Firstly, in attempting to switchover from Vim to Sublime as a go to text editor, I attempted to modify my my bash profile, which initially resulted in none of iterm2’s most basic unix commands to execute. After replacing my profile code with a stock profile online, those commands were up and running once again, but, to my horror, rails, bundle, and other ruby related commands were lost in the ether. In my frenzy, I attempted to reinstall rails, rbenv, and ruby, which, only through receiving Patrick’s careful tutelage, resulted in an apparently fully functional environment. In my current state of paranoia, I will version control my bash profile from hence forth. Thereafter and on a lighter note, I took to heart suggestions that Mike had made on my first pull request regarding white listing certain Rails routes, making sure that I require certain validations at the database level which I had implemented at the model level, eliminating unnecessary commenting, and going with my gut feeling when all else fails. Finally, Eli let me know that 1-2 spaces is standard ruby style for separating blocks of code, and that I should add my database.yml file to .gitignore. I’ve also learned what a db schema file is, and that I’ll have to rollback a migration in order to get my schema file to be what I intended for it to look like. I’m still struggling with a few concepts that have been thrown at me including testing, and some git functionality, but, on a whole, I feel that I’ve become rather fond of the structure of Rails apps.