05 Jul 2016
Reading time ~1 minute
What I Did
- I researched into the following gems: activeadmin, activematerial, devise as well as Colonel Kurtz.
- I got a page resource setup for a fresh rails app for the intern group project - “These Numbers Matter”
- Spent a ton of time debugging an error relating to databases and deploying to Heroku, as well as an error that arose, because I had not git initialized my new repository, so git commands were defaulting to my top level ~/ directory - which was a very sad thing for a long time.
What I Learned
- Material design is a design language developed at Google.
- A database index is a data structure that improves the speed of operations in a table.
What I Still Don’t Understand
- I’m a bit unclear on how the production, test, and development databases differ. For example, even after creating a Page record in which I assume to be my development database, I’m getting a 500 error because Heroku complains that the records I’m trying to reference is nil.